FREEThink is a public service initiative run on behalf of AAF Sacramento (the local chapter of the American Advertising Federation) the oldest, but coolest, national advertising trade association.
The event focuses on helping local non-profits tackle some of their toughest marketing challenges in one design-a-thon weekend. You can help! We are recruiting the best and brightest creative, marketing and advertising minds in the biz:
• Creative geniuses: Copywriters, Art Directors and Graphic Designers alike!
• Advertising, Marketing, Web, Digital, Social, SEM gurus – Account Executives included!
• Or if you just love non-profit work – we’ll figure out how you can help!
Donate your (valuable) time to form teams among your peers, and apply your talents to fulfill the marketing needs of deserving non-profits.
NEW – Date & Time: February 5th & 6th
>> Note: You do NOT, repeat NOT, have to be a member to participate <<
What the Weekend will look like:
- Phase 1 – Plan: Learn about fellow FREEThinkers and the client
- Phase 2 – ThinkTank: Dig In, Concept, Brainstorm & Solve Problems
- Phase 3 – Create: Bring the Ideas to life (those requested & those needed)
> Day One will focus on immersing ourselves in the requested deliverables and coming up with solutions.
> Day Two will continue exploration, including design, and focus on execution of deliverables (including client presentations).
Interested in volunteering for this event? Here is our volunteer application.
Register via Eventbrite
Helping local non-profits tackle some of their toughest marketing challenges in one design-a-thon weekend.
Over $50,000 of media and professional services were donated to this year’s 2020 nonprofit beneficiaries: Child Abuse Prevention Center, Sacramento Children’s Chorus, and HornetAttain!
View 2020 Zoom presentations below, and thanks for a great event!
What is FREEThink
FREEThink is a nationally recognized and awarded public service initiative created and run by AAF Sacramento.
The board of directors recruits local professionals to donate their time and talents to fulfill the marketing needs of deserving non-profits. Teams are then formed to help three local non-profits tackle some of their marketing issues in a single create-a-thon weekend.
Who is involved in FREEThink
- Creative geniuses: Copywriters, Art Directors and Graphic Designers alike!
- Advertising, Marketing, Web, Digital, Social, SEM gurus – Account Executives included!
- Or if you just love non-profit work – we will figure out how you can help!
We’re excited to continue our partnership between the Sac Ad Club and Social Venture Partners of Sacramento (SVP)! We are expanding our FREE public service programs by collaborating with SVP’s Fast Pitch — a shark tank style event for non-profits. Of the 20 non-profits participating, three will be awarded additional marketing support from FREEThink.
Learn more about Fast Pitch and the Eligible Non-profits
What types of marketing challenges are being considered?
Each non-profit has different marketing needs varying from a logo to promoting an upcoming fundraising event to a full-fledged campaign; we are open to considering any way we can help, although, our focus at this time will be on design services. For reference, the following marketing materials were designed in the previous year:
- Packaging, Label concept and design for store merchandise
- Instructional brochure for merchandise + copywriting
- Flyer to advertise in local magazines
- Tri-fold Brochure concept and design + copywriting
- Logo update/treatment
- Event naming
- Event poster
- Digital banners
- Social skins + Twitter copywriting throughout event
*Please note: non-profits are responsible for producing any materials designed. We wish we could do it all!!
Requirements/expectations for non-profits applicants (time estimations)
- Must be a Sacramento-based non-profit organization
- Submit an application detailing your marketing needs/Scope of Work:
(3) non-profits will be chosen (30min)
- Must sign a ‘Letter of Agreement’ for all services provided
- Provide a Creative Brief for the approved Scope of Work
- Be available on the day of the event to review the Creative Brief with the team/volunteers (1hr)
- Be available on the final day of the event for the team to present the work (1hr)